Thursday 3 October 2013

Yey for the NHS!

I have received some of the best care imaginable so far from the NHS, people are so fast to say when something has gone wrong, but not so quick to say when things have gone well.

Right from the off I feel like everyone has gone out their way to help me. It took just 48 hours from having my biopsy first done to being sat in front of my surgeon hearing that news. I was not meant to be back in clinic for a week, he called me to the hospital as soon as he had chased my results. This then meant the day I should have had the news I was instead in theatre having a sentinel node biopsy. I also met my oncologist 48 hours after diagnosis who already had a plan of attack and consented me for chemotherapy there and then.

I have had multiple scans to ensure there is no spread, again all very quick and very well organised. Less than a month after diagnosis I was having my PICC fitted and then started chemo the next day, pretty impressive I feel for such a lot of things in a short space of time. Considering the rate of growth of that lump it is something I am even more grateful for.

I trust both my surgeon and my oncologist with my life! Which for me is a massive massive thing, and a relief in this situation. I entirely trust every decision or choice they offer me and know that it is in my personal best interest, I'm not just a statistic to them. Also had a couple of cuddles when I've cried at appointments!

Then there are my chemo nurses, each and every one of them are just amazing!

I am a nurse myself, I love my job and I don't think there is anything else in the world I'd rather do. Saying that though, I could not be a chemo nurse. Most patients I see come to me and my colleague's unwell and we do whatever is necessary and possible to try and make them better. Chemotherapy nurses don't seem to work like that. I walked in on that very first day as a "well person", I did not feel ill, I did not look ill. To knowingly give someone a toxic medication that will make them look and feel so so unwell takes a special kind of nurse. Yes in the long run they are making people better or at least prolonging their life, but it's not something visible. Patients walk out on the day of their last dose as a shell of the person they once were, some of these patient's they may not see again. I need to go every 3 weeks for 15 more doses of herceptin, so (lucky for them) they'll see me again and be able to see me get better as I re-grow my hair, re-gain some colour and build my energy levels back up.

They make a fabulous team too, everyone seems to get on with each other. Every time I go they have a giggle at something, and involve the patients, for example the actor for the 50 shades of grey film was announced on one of my chemo days... Led to lots of giggles! All in all they make everyone feel relaxed, even at such a stressful time. Every member of staff says hello, not just your assigned nurse, they all know your name and all get involved in your care. They are also good at scraping you off the ceiling and dealing with tears when your'e ready for ripping your PICC line out after less than a week! Kept that thing in for two months thanks to the staff!!

On a slightly different note, I also love how the unit is laid out. It is in a separate building kind of tucked away, there are rarely any bypassers as I walk in. This is a huge bonus as I think I would otherwise feel self-concious and stressed that people were looking at me and thinking "oooo look she's a cancer patient". Inside it is not all hospitalised like a ward, the big comfy reclining chairs are in a big circle, like an old peoples home or community center, but in a good way. Sometimes it's the small things you notice that make a huge difference on your stress levels.

I only hope they all know how much of a fabulous job they all do and how grateful I will always be to each and every one of them! Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment