Sunday 6 October 2013

Chemo is over!

Today I feel like the worst of the side effects of chemo are over! Knowing that I am not having another dose in a week and a half makes me incredibly happy. The effects of chemo will take 6-12 months to leave my body, I am in no way back to how I used to be or anywhere close, but the worst of this step on my journey is over.

Chemotherapy has destroyed so much of my body. Amongst many other things I have lost hair from all over my body, gained weight despite eating and drinking a lot less, gone off foods i love, been tired even after 14 hours sleep, taken enough medicines to open my own chemist, felt like I've had my stomach scraped out and had my intestines swirled about, I have lost most of the tastebuds on my tongue in one go, had spontaneous nosebleed's at the most inappropriate times, my nails have rings resembling tree trunks and I have, numerous times, sat on the bathroom floor wet through after a shower as I simply have not had the energy to dry myself.

I am realistic, I know I still have herceptin, an operation, radiotherapy, tamoxifen and a lot of future scans to go. These all individually bring their own problems and challenges, but I made it through chemo and consider that to be one of my biggest achievements in life. It's not something I want to brush under the carpet, I got through uni, got the job of my dreams and had the strength to make it through chemo at 24.

Along the way I have learnt who I can turn to when I am at my lowest, learnt who my friends really are, learnt I have a man that really does love me for who I am and still finds me beautiful when I am at my lowest, I have learnt things I never knew about myself, learnt what things really matter in life and learnt that I have the strength and willpower to do anything I set my mind on, no matter how difficult.

This weekend I have felt for the first time that cancer is not right at the forefront of my mind and I can finally dare to think about next year and the rest of my future.

I have sunshine in my life and a little bit of a spring in my step. For today at least, I am happy! Onwards and upwards! Xx

4 comments:

  1. reading this with tears in my eyes at how much of an inspiration you are x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Onwards and upwards all the way brave lady xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your just amazing and you and your family should be proud x you are a true inspiration for those who are starting the journey and are very scared x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic!!! You're an amazingly brave and inspirational lady!! X

    ReplyDelete