Tuesday 15 October 2013

Do I rattle when I walk?

Having chemo does not mean you have just the chemo drugs, you have drugs for the side effects of chemo and sometimes you need drugs for the side effects of those drugs! Thought I would compile a list of everything I have taken (or at least remember taking) since I started chemotherapy. Obviously as people react differently no two people will have matching lists, plus I am a whimp. So here goes...

Fluorouacil (5FU), Epirubicin, Cyclophosphamide and Taxotere (docetaxel) are the 5 chemo drugs I had. FEC for the first three doses, tax for the last three all given into a vein (IV). Herceptin, also given IV, is an immunotherapy drug, which makes it another cancer "arse kicking" drug. Saline, IV, lots and lots of it, used to flush the lines used during chemotherapy and to flush my port. Neulasta was a 0.6ml jab into my tummy once 24 hours after every chemo (6 in total). Very expensive for such a tiny amount, but does an amazing job! It prevents my blood levels dropping too low for too long in the middle of each cycle. It boosts my bone marrow to produce more cells which caused bone ache, mainly in my hips and thighs. Dexamethasone, given both by mouth (orally) and IV. This is a steroid which is used during FEC as an antisickness and during tax at a higher dose to prevent allergic reactions. Weight gain and inability to sleep were the main side effects, the higher dose kind of makes you a bit manic! Never been so hyperactive. Ondansetron, IV and oral; Metroclopramide, IV and oral; CyclizineBuccastem (prochlorperazine) and Emend (Aprepitant) are all anti-sickness tablets. Emend is specially made for chemotherapy sickness and was brilliant. Laxido, Lactulose and Dulcolax (Bisacodyl) were all for constipation, FEC and anti-sickness tablets are extremely good at making you constipated. Which then leads to anal fissure's (do NOT google that if you're eating or have a sensitive disposition!). After talking to many other women undergoing chemotherapy it seems this is sadly very common, but never mentioned by the oncologist. Pain is not the word, very close to passing out on some occasions. Two separate GP trips in desperation and I was given Uniroid ointment, and then stronger Ultraproct ointment. Buscopan (Hyoscine) for stomach cramps and Imodium (Loperamide) for when I wasn't quite so constipated thanks to tax and antibiotics. Lots and lots of Paracetamol and Ibuprofen for pain. Codeine tablets for bone and muscle pain on tax. Anbesol and Benzydamine spray for mouth ulcers and sores. Ametop, Emla and Ethyl chloride (cryogesic cold spray) because I'm a whimp and hate needles, these all numb the skin. Ametop is the best one for me. Midazolam IV when I had my port inserted to make me a bit woozy. Sore, red, itchy and watery eyes led to me needing both Sodium cromoglicate 2% eye drops and Chloramphenicol 0.5% eye drops. Fluclonazole, anti-fungal tablets for thrush both "upstairs and downstairs" (as my oncologist kindly worded it) is very common due to the chemical inbalance caused by chemo, I was also given Canesten cream (Clotrimazole). Co-amoxiclav IV; Meropenem IV; 4 courses of Flucloxacillin and finally 2 courses of Amoxicillin all antibiotics. Firstly a nasty insect bite landed me in hospital for one night and a few days later I ended up in A&E for the day too. I have ingrown toenails and was due to have these sorted on the day I was diagnosed but had to cancel my appointment, they will not do toenail surgery whilst I'm undergoing cancer treatment so they've been left. This has led to them becoming infected when my immunity dipped. Finally I got a cold which led to a chest infection. Think I did pretty well only needing one night and one day in hospital throughout my whole chemo!

37 drugs there!

These are the best three of my own "non-medicinal" side effect busters that I feel deserve a little mention.
XXX trebor mints are wonderful for sickness. Guinness to boost iron levels as they dropped with each chemo. Anything to avoid a blood transfusion eh! Lastly, the marvellous Pineapple, fresh non concentrated is the best. It works better than anything at preventing and healing mouth ulcers and sores!

On the plus side, I'm a nurse, I feel when I am finally back at work the first hand experience of what each of these drugs does to your body may come in handy! Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment