Thursday 19 September 2013

Surgery plans.

Saw my surgical consultant on Monday. He is happy with the good response I've had from chemo and can, like me, only feel the edges of that lump. He feels a wide local excision (lumpectomy) is the right operation for me, rather than a mastectomy, which is fabulous!!

I should be having the op 4-6 weeks after my last chemo, that way I have time for my bloods to recover but the nasty cells dont have time to start multiplying again. 

Before this I need an MRI scan to see the size of the lump and ensure that second suspicious patch is no longer there, if it is that may change my surgery plans.

The incision will be directly above that lump and my surgeon is hoping to stitch it the same as he stitched after my sentinel node biopsy, so hopefully a pretty neat scar.

One of my biggest worries was that an operation would prevent me from breastfeeding any children I may be lucky enough to have in the future. My surgeon says that a lumpectomy shouldn't affect anything in that respect, which makes me one happy lady!

Although I am nervous about going to theatre again, I am also excited to get it done and dusted. Surgery feels like another line in the sand on my journey, the line between having cancer and having the thing gone. Everything after surgery feels more like a preventative measure to ensure this thing hopefully never, ever returns.

1 comment:

  1. Deb you are truly amazing!! Hang in there now, the end of the chemo is in sight and you have done fantastically well!! Xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete