Wednesday 4 September 2013

Chemo 5 is in! One to go!

Yesterday I had chemo number 5!! Which means once the horrid side effects have been ridden again I only have ONE dose left! Yes, just one!

This does not mean the end of treatment, I still have an operation, 4 weeks of daily radiotherapy, 16 infusion's of herceptin and 10 years of tamoxifen to come. But it will be the end of chemotherapy, and I cannot wait!

Chemo 4, 5 and 6 are all taxotere. People ask if it is better or worse than FEC, my honest answer? I do not know. Taxotere has brought minimal sickness which is a massive blessing, but the aches are awful, feeling every bone and muscle in your body hurt isn't pleasant. For the first time in my life I spent most of one day in bed drifting in and out of sleep, waking only for painkillers and water. Many women describe it as being hit by a "tax truck", which I feel describes it well. The stomach cramp's wern't nice, I did however get away with only having one nosebleed! Each drug is evil in its own different way.

On a hair-watch note, I do have the tiniest bit of regrowth on my head (imagine a peach and you'll get a rough idea), however my eyelashes and eyebrow's are quickly giving up, which is horrid, for me I think losing them has been more difficult than losing my head hair. Roughly a week after chemo 4 was the first time I felt I truly looked "sick" or like a "cancer patient". Thank-goodness for make-up and some fabulous days and nights both out and in with some of my friend's and family! They really do keep me (almost) sane.

Saying this though, on a positive note, yesterday was the proudest I think I've felt about myself throughout this horrific journey! Willingly sitting there whilst someone pumps you with poison isn't easy at all, and I have done that 5 whole times so far! That is something I sense I should be extremely proud of, and I am!

For one more final giggle, the amount of bald fun you can have is endless! Meet my new fella! (Luckily my boyfriend doesn't mind too much as mr egg was whisked into a rather lemony sorbet! Yum!)


No comments:

Post a Comment