Thursday 8 August 2013

Port in PICC out!

I have had two appointments so far this week. Tuesday I had an echocardiogram (ultrasound scan of my heart) to make sure I have no underlying heart problems and to provide my doctor's with a baseline of my heart function, as the herceptin I'm due to start next Wednesday can put you in heart failure. Quite a straight forward appointment so I was in and out pretty quickly.

Yesterday was the big port day! I was quite honestly terrified, and for that reason I decided saying yes to sedation was the best idea. I had a few pre procedure checks and questions done, changed into a gown and was then taken into another room. Led on my back with my head facing right in a box I was covered in surgical drapes, I couldnt see anything other than through a tiny gap in the drapes through the box. I was given some sedation to chill me out, not enough to make me sleep though sadly, then they started putting the local anaesthetic in. At this point I started crying as I was still terrified and it really hurt, so for this reason I was given a little bit more sedation, then I was that chilled out I honestly felt like they wern't doing anything to me, fabulous stuff and I'd really suggest that anyone in that situation says yes to sedation!

It meant I had to stop a little longer after the procedure which was no biggie really as they allowed my boyfriend to sit with me, so I didn't feel quite so alone or scared.

Then the PICC line was pulled out, so it's gone! I honestly couldn't be happier about that. It's been a blessing as it's meant I have not needed a needle for each blood test and each chemo, but I also hated it. It was visible to everyone, got in the way and ruined my skin. Love hate relationship I suppose.

Everyone I came into contact with yesterday was fabulous, I couldn't fault anything! They even had a nurse who was just there to reassure me and simply hold my hand the whole way through. That's true nursing care! I was also given a drink and toast after it all!

Today I am pretty sore and needing regular pain relief, I also look like I've been attacked with all the dressings I have on. I'm just taking it easy and not pushing myself too far. It will be so much easier for day to day life once it's all healed and the stitches have come out. The stitches in my neck (3 stitches) come out on Tuesday and the stitches to my chest (5 stitches) come out in 3 weeks.

This is a picture of the positioning of it all, tomorrow the district nurse will be coming to change my dressings and check my wound, I haven't to change it myself, which is why the chest dressing has blood on it at the moment. Xx

2 comments:

  1. Hi Debby Glad you got that over with.Now you will be able to have a good long soak next week. Love you Gran X X X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you're such an inspiration and you're doing so, so well. I wish you all the best on your road to recovery. What a star, keep up the fight. Xxx

    ReplyDelete