Tuesday 13 August 2013

Halfway! Treats, genes, celebrations and giggles!

Halfway through chemo! The time has flown so far but I've often wondered if I could make it this far.
This third chemo, for me, has been the hardest, not just physically but also emotionally. I have cried a lot over this last three weeks, but I have pulled my socks up and realised what I have in life. Today I am back to the fear of the unknown, a new chemo drug and tomorrow the first dose of herceptin.

Yesterday I really made the most of feeling well! Had pre-chemo bloods taken in the morning, 3 venous jabs as no-one could find the right needles for my port. Then it was off to manchester!

I had an amazing two hour workshop run by Look Good, Feel Better. They are a charity that hold free makeup workshops specifically for women with cancer, I was in a room with 10 other women at different stages along their different cancer journey. 1 beautician went through the 12 step makeup and skincare routine while we all "copied", 3 other beauticians were at hand to help and give more pointers. It was all very focused of rectifying the common problems us cancer sufferers suffer from most frequently, like the loss of lashes, eybrows, redness and facial puffiness. Every single one of those ladies, me included, walked out with a smile on their face and a bound in their step. Definitely the confidence boost and treat I needed ready to face the next half of chemo. As those who know me well I don't often wear makeup so it really was a treat. Another amazing positive was the free "goodie bag" we all got given to take home! I would suggest any woman on this horrific journey attends one of these sessions! Everyone was amazing. Stick a load of women with hair of different lengths but with a similar story into a room and they soon start chatting like old friends. Fabulous workshop!
This is my "goodie bag"!



Following this I had my genetics appointment, which was a rather scary experience for me. This involved a discussion with a genetic counsellor about which genes may be or may not be involved with the development of that lump. They dont test outright for the three most common genes (braca1, braca2 and p53) due to funding, but they feel i fit requirements for p53 testing. So today I will have bloods taken for this, approx 8 weeks till I get my results. After what I now know about this gene I am hoping I am simply just "unlucky" that I got a rouge cell, and it's not that gene. I will try not to worry until results come back though, it wont change anything.

Then it was off to the trafford center to celebrate mine and the boyfriends first anniversary properly. It was two weeks ago, but as I didn't feel too well then we had an, albeit perfect, night in. So celebrated out last night as well.

One happy, and very tired lady by the time I got home.

Just to end on a giggle. I'm keeping a little cancer memory box with all my letters, cards and pictures in. So decided I needed a couple with me and some new friends I found. Hope they make you giggle at least half as much as I did!



1 comment: