Wednesday 29 May 2013

Just a quick nag

I am absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of people who have taken time to read my first entry and also by the number of people who have sent me such words of support because I've been so open about this journey.

I have recently read a quote that states that "cancer is just a word, not a sentence" and I intend to live each day believing that, I refuse to become any form of victim to this thing, mentally or physically. People often say in their lovely messages "I hope you don't mind me knowing". I, in no way shape or form, mind, cancer is not something I will shy away from when someone asks and is not something I will ever be ashamed of. Apart from that, where I live gossip spreads like wildfire and everyone would soon find out when I go bald!

I feel that while traffic to my blog is so high I need to reiterate the importance of checking yourself at any age, I don't mean to nag or go on, but I'm 24, that has to prove this not only happens to people who are over 50! I literally owe my life to my Mum, had she had not drummed the self-check message into me from such an early age I may not have found this until months or years down the line, by which time it could have been a whole different story. I fear I will never be able to show her how thankful I am to her for pushing the message through my eye rolling, hormonal teenager years.

In my obsessive research about breast cancer (as I believe knowledge is power in a fight) I have found a couple of check-yourself websites:

A couple of minutes once a month that could save your life... Not a massive waste of time in my eyes, and an excuse for an extra few minutes in the shower.  Pay your GP a visit (ask for a female if it helps) if anything concerns you, that's what they're there for! And if you're not happy or still concerned, go back! Certainly glad I did!


So get checking! xx

3 comments:

  1. What a brave girl our debs is hope I can always make you laugh mate. Tx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration. I am 37 yrs old and I am dreading my appointment with my doctor in the next couple of days regarding the lump I have just found in my breast in the last week. I have been a little neglectful of self checking and only realised when I found lumps in my neck which are enlarged lymph nodes. However your blog has made me smile and a little less anxious so thankyou so much x

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are such a brave person debbie and an inspiration to other people sufferig l gillian xxxxx

    ReplyDelete