Tuesday 28 May 2013

Diagnosis to week 2

15/05/2013

One date I highly doubt I will ever forget, that horrible diagnosis of breast cancer.

I am writing this blog, not to see how fabulous my English writing skills are (as I passed that GCSE at a CC which was probably only just a scrape but enough for me as my writing skills are awful) but to see if I can make sense of all this, provide me with something to keep myself entertained and hopefully encourage people that no matter what age you are checking yourself is important!!!

Stepping back in time a little I first found a lump in my right breast around September-October 2012. As I was only 23 I left it a while before paying a trip to see my female GP, as at that age I had the whole "it will just be my hormone's" impression and was not enthralled at the thought of getting everything out for a health professional. I finally bucked my ideas up and paid my GP a trip in November, within days I found myself sat in a breast clinic, after flashing myself some more and being examined yet again I was given an ultrasound and reassured it was just glandular tissue therefore nothing to worry about and discharged with a smile.
4 months later after monitoring that lump (aged 24) I was concerned that it had doubled in size so booked myself in to see the GP again, good job I did! I was seen by a different consultant at a hospital closer to home and given yet another ultrasound, followed by a core needle biopsy (which wasn't quite as painful or bad as I expected). By this point that lump was roughly 3cm wide and probably about as long.
48 hours later I was given the sickening news that the biopsy had cancerous cells. Grade 3 which basically means the cells growing are very abnormally compared to other cells and multiply quickly. The good news is despite the lump feeling about 3cm, the nasty part is only 1.3cm. And before you ask it, there's no family history, I don't smoke and I don't drink excessive amounts. I'm hoping it's a one off unlucky thing, the thought of carrying the BRCA1 or 2 gene is frightening.

People criticise the NHS constantly, but I have to say that so far I could not fault a single thing! Everything has been organised so efficiently and quickly it is actually shocking.
It will be two weeks tomorrow since my diagnosis. So far I have:
·        Met my lovely breast care nurse who has provided me with some leaflets and booklets from macmillan and breast cancer care (i love leaflets)
·        Met my oncologist who has already decided on my treatment plan and sorted my consent out for that
·        Had a sentinel node biopsy under general anaesthetic to ensure none of the cancerous cells were in my lymph nodes
·        Received the fabulous news that my lymph nodes are clear of cancer
·        Had a bone scan
·        Got CT scan and pre-chemo assessment booked

Today I have been told I will also need an MRI and a mammogram, feel like I'm being given a proper MOT.

Telling people I have cancer is such a difficult thing to do, I sense it's something I will never get used to. I have got the strongest support behind me which should make this whole process so much easier. I am blessed with an amazing family, wonderful boyfriend and fabulous friends who have given me words of strength and hope, plenty of cuddles, a little normality while I can and some truly beautiful flowers, presents, cards and a trilby hat all thrown in.

I'm all for being positive, after all worrying won't shrink the thing so I shan't waste my energy on it.
My positivity list so far consists of:
·        I will save a small fortune on hair products
·        Showering will be a lot quicker
·        I will not have a "bad hair day" for a long while
·        I will be ready to go out a lot quicker than my lovely boyfriend and friends
·        I have an excuse to shop for pretty scarves
I'm sure I will continue to add to this.

I have been told studies in America have shown that exercise can improve the outcome of treatment, therefore, as a woman, I saw this as an excuse to buy some new shoes, with a hint of pink of course... My "kick arse trainers" have already started being put to task!


The sooner I beat that lump the better!

15 comments:

  1. Danielle Hayton5/28/2013 9:49 pm

    Love this, love you, so, so proud of you <3 xoxooxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant, well done you. Keep strong and positive and remember I'm always here if you need a whinge or a moan or just a cuddle. And you need to eat to keep your strength up or I'll be bringing you the dreaded supplements haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your an inspiration. Keep it up. Keep fighting you WILL beat this xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very proud of you! It picked on the wrong person here mate, like it stands a chance! All ny love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!! Debby, you are amazing. Keep that positive attitude you have. It is humbling. x x If I can do anything.... a lift anywhere??? someone to go for a walk in the evenings with, someones madhouse to visit.. you're more than welcome.. just let me know x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! Debby, you are amazing. Keep that positive attitude you have. It is humbling. x x If I can do anything.... a lift anywhere??? someone to go for a walk in the evenings with, someones madhouse to visit.. you're more than welcome.. just let me know x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!! Debby, you are amazing. Keep that positive attitude you have. It is humbling. x x If I can do anything.... a lift anywhere??? someone to go for a walk in the evenings with, someones madhouse to visit.. you're more than welcome.. just let me know x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deb what a fantastic idea to inspire others & promote awareness of breast cancer...I returned to work yesterday & was on duty when you came for assesment..your the same age as my youngest daughter...both of my girls have breast lumps and regular checks..both have had needle biopsies as have I, Sophie is your age & has had 2 large lumps surgically removed due to the increasing growth..fortunatley on each occasion despite being left with large scars they were begnin...this blog is a fantastic idea to promote awareness in young women. You are young feisty, admirable and have already achieved a very strong B + so not only have you already kick arsed your GCSE C....your already in your pink training shoes & ready to kick arse the big C.....and whats more sweetheart is we are all right by your side...im gona follow & am inspired...its a fantastic idea...lets go girl....x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing lady!!! Keep up the fight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loraine Wilson5/29/2013 1:57 pm

    Debby, my beautiful niece. I'm so very proud of you. You will beat the beast. If you need anything at all the phone/text and it will be done. Love & hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. To my treasure of a granddaughter,I have always loved you,and felt proud of you but never as much as I do now.You have taken the bull by the horns and swung it over your shoulder.To hell with it.keep up and you will wipe the floor with it all my love gran xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. keep the fighting spirit going Debby and you will beat it xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Debs, you're shoes are working! Love you and love your (amazing) blog post :)

    On a side note, I can clarify there were NO English mistakes either!

    Love you lotsies <3 xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. None at all B POSITIVE..ACHIEVED...x

    ReplyDelete