Wednesday 4 June 2014

Cancerversary

15/05/2014, my 1st Cancerversary.

When you've had cancer you add an extra date to that list of "special dates", birthday, anniversary, cancerversary. It's a kind of acknowledgement and celebration that you're still alive and living. Counting the years since diagnosis day. It's one of those days you don't ever forget, ask me what I did one random date last year and I won't know, ask me about 15th May 2013 and I will be able to tell you so much about that one day in detail.

Well I've had my first, and I'm looking forward to the next! Feels a bit like winning the statistics and sticking two fingers up at cancer. I no longer dread getting older quite the same, I look forward to turning 30, 40, 50... It means I have survived.

Yes cancer is destructive, it sends a wrecking ball through your life and normality, but I have had so many positives these last 12 months. I have raised over £1000 for charity, donated my hair to be made into a wig for a child going through a similar experience, found out that I actually love my hair short, found out which friends matter (and those people that really don't), I am even more secure in the knowledge I have found my soulmate (if we can get through this and be closer than before then we can get though anything), I have more confidence and I have met some amazing people along the way. Those are the things I focus on when I'm having a tough day.

This year I made the 15th of May an amazing one to remember with a smile!

Every morning I wake up is a day where I beat cancer, told you I was too stubborn to lose...

No comments:

Post a Comment